Euro 2020 Cities

andykeenan

Wembley Semi Final & Final

Glasgow Budapest Brussels Bilbao Amsterdam Dublin Copenhargen host a round of 16 game

Rome St Petersburg Baku & Munich Quarter Final

Every city awarded a quarter final or round of 16 game also gets three group games

Good news final at Wembley shame we won't get there

Edited by andykeenan

Final was always going to be Wembley.

UEFA bloody love it.

Absolutely. Huge stadium in one of the world's greatest cities provides capacity for normal fans and a lot of high rollers to fill the corporate hospitality packages.   I'm surprised it got both semi finals too, but anybody who thought the final was going to be anywhere other than London was a crazy person. 

BAKU

CASH MONIES. Land of fire and all that.

I place Azerbaijan and Qatar in the same boat really.

Why?  The Europe - Asia border cuts through Azerbaijan. The city of Baku is on the Asian side but only just. The border is on the peninsula immediately to the north of the city, fifteen or twenty minutes drive away as far as I can tell.  Is Azerbaijan it really that different to Turkey which has it's capital city firmly in Asia and it's biggest city (and cultural capital) quite literally on the border between the two continents? 75% of Russia is in Asia too, but it's capital city and most of it's population is in Europe. 

Edited by The_Rev

I thought this multiple cities idea thing came after the poor corporate sales to games in Ukraine / Poland

Agree with the rev, was always going to be wembley, UEFA love a prawn sandwich and no one does them better

There are a couple of surprises, Bilbao being put forward rather than the new nou camp and turkey going from favourites to host the whole tournament to not even putting Istanbul forward

fwiw I think it might work as long as the travel companies don't get daft (!) even of it doesn't then according to the rumour mill Germany are favourites for 2024 and we are favourites for 2028 so over the next 14 years matches at all 4 euros are going to be pretty doable for your average English football fan

BAKU

Why?  The Europe - Asia border cuts through Azerbaijan. The city of Baku is on the Asian side but only just. The border is on the peninsula immediately to the north of the city, fifteen or twenty minutes drive away as far as I can tell.  Is Azerbaijan it really that different to Turkey which has it's capital city firmly in Asia and it's biggest city (and cultural capital) quite literally on the border between the two continents? 75% of Russia is in Asia too, but it's capital city and most of it's population is in Europe. 

The geography is correct, I don't have a problem with that.

The football pedigree of Baku and/or Azerbaijan I do have a problem with.

BAKU

Why? The Europe - Asia border cuts through Azerbaijan. The city of Baku is on the Asian side...

I think you answered your own question.

Europe doesn't have a defined border. You'll be here until the end if time arguing where Europe ends and what is and isn't Europe.

Traditionally the geographic limit ties in with the Ural Mountains, but that cuts through a bunch of countries meaning you start to get a rather vague definition of its limits in really terms.

UEFA definition includes a country nobody on earth really thinks is European, Israel.

This is actually a genuine problem for the EU.

By the by anywho...

Edited by Chindie

Surprised St Petersburg got one ahead of Moscow. Bilbao's a great one in fairness.

It was a case of who the respective FAs put forward, st Petersburg is a new build 70k stadium, the big one in Moscow is only being refurbed for the World Cup

Might have answered my own question about why the new nou camp wasn't on the list over Bilbao

Â