Motorhomes - any experience ?

smetrov

I wondered if anyone has any experience of owning a motorhome. The kids are now at an age where they won't be coming on holiday with boring mom and dad - and with the mortgage down to a manageable level - this might be something to consider as I get close to retirement. 

The whopping purchase price I could stomach - but what about upkeep, tax, insurance, maintenance ? - I would mainly want to use it..(.I think ) in the UK ... Just be nice to get up and go...

Wondered if anyone has experience, the pitfalls, is it as good as it seems....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFs4lTau3YM

I've never had a motorhome but I know a few people who've all had a go at it, I don't know if it's relevant but strangely they were all engineers.

The thing I haven't quite understood with them is the cost, for the cost of buying and running one and putting in enough fuel to get away you could have an awful lot of nights in an awful lot of good hotels. One that's a decent size needs another smaller vehicle on tow because you aren't going to be able to pop into town in it once you've got to Padstow or St Davids or Mallaig etc..

Saying that, I guess you can decide on Friday night to go away Friday night and you know what standard of accommodation you'll be getting once you get there.

But do all the sums and consider the alternatives for the same amount of money, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFs4lTau3YM

I've never had a motorhome but I know a few people who've all had a go at it, I don't know if it's relevant but strangely they were all engineers.

The thing I haven't quite understood with them is the cost, for the cost of buying and running one and putting in enough fuel to get away you could have an awful lot of nights in an awful lot of good hotels. One that's a decent size needs another smaller vehicle on tow because you aren't going to be able to pop into town in it once you've got to Padstow or St Davids or Mallaig etc..

Saying that, I guess you can decide on Friday night to go away Friday night and you know what standard of accommodation you'll be getting once you get there.

But do all the sums and consider the alternatives for the same amount of money, I guess.

Yes thats the kind of calculation Im doing in my head. If upkeep is £3k per year - than thats easily a overseas holiday. Thing is with a such a big investment I know I would use it - that would be my incentive - I always brought expensive road bikes - knowing that £1.5k couldn't sit idly in the garage ! 

Motorhomes are absolutely brilliant.  I come from experience pinching my parent's old motorhome from time to time.  DON'T BUY FROM NEW.  

I once spent a month just basically chilling out, driving from place to place around Scotland.  Most garages are sympathetic if you need water etc and you can easily find somewhere to park up for the night (assuming you don't go too big).  If you don't go for a massive motorhome then you can virtually travel anywhere that a car can.  I've been around Wales, Scotland, along the South Coast, Shropshire, the Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland, North York Moors and the Peak District.  You do need to be alert (low bridges and stupidly steep hills etc) but for the most part, you can travel anywhere you want to.  

The old ones are great and you should get them at a pretty reasonable price.  Just be careful - a lot of the older ones need a helluva lot of work doing to them.  My parents don't mind as they see it as part of the fun (Dad is retired so it's his hobby).

I recommend Motorhome Magazine - they really go into the pitfalls and tips of owning a big van.  

I can't really comment on the cost of tax / mot etc as I haven't needed to find out (but I can if it helps) - bearing in mind that my parent's van is an old E reg transit-style.  Fuel cost can be a lot but given the cost of a flight elsewhere and hotel etc and then compared with having the freedom to basically do as you want and travel where you want, I'd easily choose a motorhome. 

Oh and last thing - you will need to learn how to wave.  It's a kind of code of the road.  Motorhome drivers wave at each other (when I first pinched the motorhome, I was checking my lights and all sorts thinking I had something wrong.  "What are these people waving at me for?!?!").

Edited by trekka

We are campervan with aspirations of motorhome, maybe in 3 years we will buy one. One thing you need to look at when buying one is to thoroughly look for any leaks, I cant stress this enough, look for any watermarks at all. Also instructions, if you buy it from someone ask them for instructions on everything. We didnt get any and it was months of working out the fridge/water heater/electrics. 

Other than that I heartily recommend it.

My experience is - they should not be allowed on the roads between 5am and Midnight.

Same category as Caravans, Lorries and Range Rovers - driven by people who don't know what they are doing and couldn't give a flying **** if they endanger everyone else on the road.

• Like 1

My experience is - they should not be allowed on the roads between 5am and Midnight.

Same category as Caravans, Lorries and Range Rovers - driven by people who don't know what they are doing and couldn't give a flying **** if they endanger everyone else on the road.

BMW or Audi? Cant tell.

BMW or Audi? Cant tell.

LOL - neither, my car doesn't come with optional indicators and I actually use them.

I kind of agree - but as a keen cyclist I hope I would be more considerate than the 'Get out of my way' brigade you mention

Â