Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Question for the older posters- was yesterday's goal by Cleverley similar to the Mortimer strike V Liverpool? I had total confidence he would finish it. I haven't felt like that for any Villa player for a long while. It seems a perfect fit for club and player, I expect him to stay.

Question for the older posters- was yesterday's goal by Cleverley similar to the Mortimer strike V Liverpool? I had total confidence he would finish it. I haven't felt like that for any Villa player for a long while. It seems a perfect fit for club and player, I expect him to stay.

No Morty slotted his past the keeper - my favourite ever villa goal.

I actually thought this first benteke goal - as soon as the cross went in - towards Benteke - I knew it was a goal...

I actually thought this first benteke goal - as soon as the cross went in - towards Benteke - I knew it was a goal...

I felt the same with Bacuna's freekick against Cardiff last season. Was at the game with my friend in the Trinity and i told him to get his phone out to record it, he never and he scored aha.

I felt the same with Bacuna's freekick against Cardiff last season. Was at the game with my friend in the Trinity and i told him to get his phone out to record it, he never and he scored aha.

Youth.  Enjoy the game.

• Like 2

http://www.teamtalk.com/aston-villa/9834984/Tim-Sherwood-keen-on-keeping-Tom-Cleverley

Tom Cleverley: Man in demand

Tim Sherwood praised Tom Cleverley's focus after the 3-2 win over Everton - and continues to believe he can beat Roberto Martinez to secure the midfielder's signature.

The Manchester United loanee scored Villa's third on Saturday to keep them two points clear of the relegation zone. Cleverley is out of contract at the end of the season and has been linked with Everton but Sherwood wants to keep him at Villa Park.

The Villa manager said: "He was excellent, Tom. I was a bit worried because I thought he might have been playing for Everton, with his eye on it next season, but he proved he's really focused on doing the job for Aston Villa and he shows the quality he has.

"He tirelessly works around the pitch but he's got more than that. He showed a real cool head in front of goal, two in two now so I'm waiting for the next one against West Ham. He's still auditioning for me, I'm hoping."

Everton manager Martinez, who has made no secret of his admiration for Cleverley, said: "I worked with Tom in the past at Wigan and he is a player I know really well.

"He came to Aston Villa and as you can imagine he is defending Aston Villa. He has got a very important aim to fight for so we never speak about a player who is not registered with Everton.

"It's fair to say Villa were the better side in the first half and we were the better side in the second. We couldn't get through that poor period without damage. I thought the damage of giving a two-goal lead was huge.

"The third goal from Aston Villa against the run of play is probably what gives the home side the three points. It's unfortunate we couldn't get through the first period without being so damaged."

Cleverley's was better

http://www.teamtalk.com/aston-villa/9834984/Tim-Sherwood-keen-on-keeping-Tom-Cleverley

Tim Sherwood praised Tom Cleverley's focus after the 3-2 win over Everton - and continues to believe he can beat Roberto Martinez to secure the midfielder's signature.

The Manchester United loanee scored Villa's third on Saturday to keep them two points clear of the relegation zone. Cleverley is out of contract at the end of the season and has been linked with Everton but Sherwood wants to keep him at Villa Park.

The Villa manager said: "He was excellent, Tom. I was a bit worried because I thought he might have been playing for Everton, with his eye on it next season, but he proved he's really focused on doing the job for Aston Villa and he shows the quality he has.

"He tirelessly works around the pitch but he's got more than that. He showed a real cool head in front of goal, two in two now so I'm waiting for the next one against West Ham. He's still auditioning for me, I'm hoping."

Everton manager Martinez, who has made no secret of his admiration for Cleverley, said: "I worked with Tom in the past at Wigan and he is a player I know really well.

"He came to Aston Villa and as you can imagine he is defending Aston Villa. He has got a very important aim to fight for so we never speak about a player who is not registered with Everton.

"It's fair to say Villa were the better side in the first half and we were the better side in the second. We couldn't get through that poor period without damage. I thought the damage of giving a two-goal lead was huge.

"The third goal from Aston Villa against the run of play is probably what gives the home side the three points. It's unfortunate we couldn't get through the first period without being so damaged."

Yeah, let's just ignore the slightly fortuitous penalty which gave you the first goal and the blatant foul on our keeper which gave you the second.

You were outplayed, and were lucky to even get close.

• Like 3

Similar, but if I remember correctly Mortimer was a bit more central on goal.....but hey who cares, both great goals.

"It's fair to say Villa were the better side in the first half and we were the better side in the second. We couldn't get through that poor period without damage. I thought the damage of giving a two-goal lead was huge."The third goal from Aston Villa against the run of play is probably what gives the home side the three points. It's unfortunate we couldn't get through the first period without being so damaged."

Yeah, let's just ignore the slightly fortuitous penalty which gave you the first goal and the blatant foul on our keeper which gave you the second.

You were outplayed, and were lucky to even get close.

Yeah, annoying bit that from Martinez.

As I've said before anyone know if he's moved down for his year's loan or is he still in the North west and commuting?

I've always felt he'd go to Everton purely due to them being in the North west.

Career wise staying with us makes the most sense at the moment. I presume he wants to get back into the England squad. Well playing week in week out here alongside Delph who is making regularly England squads now makes more sense than going to Arsenal (where he wouldn't play) or Spurs where he might play 2-3 games before he gets dropped for their other 200 midfielders in the squad.

Â