Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

'Cleverley has won the league' is about as much use as an argument as 'Lindegaard has won the league.'

Lindegaard is a good goalkeeper, but that is another discussion.

If Colback is so good, why didn't the 'top 4' get him? He was free! It is a stupid discussion anyway. Cleverley was found good enough to play regularly for the champions, give him a break.

And he tried to get Dusan Tadic...was too expensive. Lambert seems to know something about good midfielders. If Cleverley went to to Everton instead, I think a lot of people here would be angry.

Bullet dodged. He wouldn't even get in their midfield. Which is pretty shite these days anyway.

He wasn't good enough to play regularly for the champions. That's why he isn't playing for them anymore.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Funny that some of the same posters who can't help posting 'class, class player' after every game Westwood appears in are also present in this thread dismissing Cleverley. In reality, they're much of a muchness. Cleverley is better at tackling and tracking back, Westwood is better at finding forwards with passes. Neither is vastly better than the other. 

• Like 1

Funny that some of the same posters who can't help posting 'class, class player' after every game Westwood appears in are also present in this thread dismissing Cleverley. In reality, they're much of a muchness. Cleverley is better at tackling and tracking back, Westwood is better at finding forwards with passes. Neither is vastly better than the other. 

This. I'm a huge fan of Westwood, but the difference between him and Cleverley isn't that huge.

Why wouldn't we just sign him up on a pre contract in January? Why would we pay anything?

If he does not want to sign, you have 8 mil to spend on a real player.

Premier League clubs can't sign players to pre contracts in January if they also play for another Premier League side.

Hopefully the 7.5 mil quoted is from our summer transfer fund and we still have some money put aside for Jan transfers.

I like Cleverly.

we need players at that level, even if he isn't all that different from Westwood I think he can kick on, especially now we are playing a bit more possession football (against lower sides anyway).

I presume this is aimed at me.

Westwood's range of passing and 1st touch are miles better and when you have Sanchez next to you, tackling isn't as important.

In truth cleverley excels at nothing. He's average at most things.

If he was cheaper id have no qualms with it. However id rather spend that money on an AM and a midfield of Westwood, Sanchez and an AM looks tasty.

Never rated the guy and I'm not going to start just because he wears our shirt.

Why wouldn't we just sign him up on a pre contract in January? Why would we pay anything?

If he does not want to sign, you have 8 mil to spend on a real player.

Because the agreement was made in the summer. Why would Manchester united accept an £8 million bid and then allow us to have him on loan and then sign for free. United would not have allowed him to leave if a fee had not already been agreed between us and them.

He cant sign a pre contract with us in January, he is only able to do so with clubs outside of the English leagues. Its either sign him up for a fee now or chance it whether he wants to join us on a free in the summer.

Would not touch him at that price.

Remarkable how dynamic our midfield was yesterday with Delph, Sanchez and Weimann (not even a midfielder), and with Cleverly and Westwood not involved.

Coincidence? I think not.

I don't think thats true. 

• Like 1

I'm itching to see a midfield with Delph, Cleverly, and Sanchez together. I quite like Cleverly, and the rumored price doesn't bother me. I wouldn't say he is vastly superior to Westwood, but he's superior. Westwood is remarkably inconsistent.

I'm itching to see a midfield with Delph, Cleverly, and Sanchez together. I quite like Cleverly, and the rumored price doesn't bother me. I wouldn't say he is vastly superior to Westwood, but he's superior. Westwood is remarkably inconsistent.

I think I would try the same formation next, but with Weimann instead of Gabby (suspended or not) and that trio in midfield as its pretty balanced, and all 3 of the centre backs are pretty good at driving forward when they get a chance which is effective at pulling the opposition out of position. Cleverley should also cover Hutton better than Weimann did with Lowton.

As long as we play positively and allow Hutton and Cissokho forward then it could work well. 

Â