Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I see your point. I'm not sure either are expansive enough though to play in a 2.

They could/might be with a decent manager in charge.  Westwood has the ability to hit a decent 25 yard pass, he just doesn't do it often enough.  I'm going to change my tack slightly as say I'd like to see what he can do when he hasn't got the utterly ineffective Gabby and Weimann playing as widemen in a forward three, and a manager who hasn't got a creative bone in his body.

Such a meh player.

The formation we play doesn't get the best out of the players we have.  Cleverley and Westwood in a 4-4-2 with Gabby and Benteke up front would look like different players in my opinion, instead of the utter non-entities they're both reduced to at present.

I agree with your first point, but not with your second.

Firstly I think Westwood and Cleverley are too similar.

And secondly I think neither are good enough, attacking wise, to succeed unless they're alongside who can do that part of the game instead.

I think we'd look a lot better team at the moment if one of Westwood or Cleverley was an attacking midfielder instead.

We'd then have Sanchez to defend, Player X to attack and Cleverley/Westwood to link the two together.

It works in my head anyway!

• Like 1

I think he has done okay but by far the biggest thing we have to thank him for is him bulking at joining us permanently and therefore scuppering an 8 mill deal. He has looked about 4 or 5 mill away from being an 8 million pound player.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Such a meh player.

The formation we play doesn't get the best out of the players we have.  Cleverley and Westwood in a 4-4-2 with Gabby and Benteke up front would look like different players in my opinion, instead of the utter non-entities they're both reduced to at present.

I agree with your first point, but not with your second.

Firstly I think Westwood and Cleverley are too similar.

And secondly I think neither are good enough, attacking wise, to succeed unless they're alongside who can do that part of the game instead.

I think we'd look a lot better team at the moment if one of Westwood or Cleverley was an attacking midfielder instead.

We'd then have Sanchez to defend, Player X to attack and Cleverley/Westwood to link the two together.

It works in my head anyway!

That's exactly what I have told any United fans who have asked me about Cleverley. He's an engine in the middle of the park that does what he does well. He's an upgrade on Westwood imo, and one should be played but not both. Problem is that Delph is our midfielder with the most forward drive, and he's been out injured.

No disagreement from me, I thought he was excellent, especially going forward in the first half. The reason I prefer him to Westwood is that while they can do similar roles, with Cleverley you know that he has more flexibility and can actually open things up a bit going forward. 

I haven't seen the game, but I've been banging on for weeks that players like Cleverley and Westwood will perform better if they have somebody else in midfield doing the creating for them. So they don't have to be relied upon to do that and can get on with their own game.

So I'm not surprised there is some praise knocking around for Cleverley in the game where we actually played an attacking midfielder (Cole)

• Like 1

He was great today and that's what he is capable of. Sign him up.

One game in what, 10, and you are impressed. Madness.

I think he's played well for us plenty of times - with a little dip in form that he recovered from a couple of games back.

Best performance from him so far, played very well.

Agree, Cole brought it out of him

Yeah Cole was key to him playing better because it gave him someone to pass to! Cole's movement off the ball was great. Cleverly can't play those nice littel passes between the lines if no-one has made the run to get there first.

Â