Living History/Reenactment

Wittmann

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any members of VT either are or have ever been into the Living History/Reenactment hobby.

I love miltary history from all ages (especially WW2) and I am part of a group that builds repro WW2 German Armoured Vehicles from FV432 armoured personnel carriers and of course we like to show them off at shows around the South and Midlands. 

I know some people may think this is a little sad; grown men dressing up and playing army etc. etc. but I very much enjoy playing my role and trying to experience (as best we can) what it would be like for soldiers of all nationalities at this time in the battle scenarios and of course helping to educate the public by bringing history back to life.

• Like 2

You'd probably enjoy the Battle of Lexington reenactment in Massachusetts. I went there once as a little kid, and the town green was packed with spectators, as well as people up and down the street. The Minutemen militia were assembled and ready for the eventual British entry into the area. I remember hearing the distant rattle of battle drums from the approaching Redcoats. It was pretty scary, actually! Then they have a standoff on the green, and muskets and rifles begin to fire, and horses gallop around while smoke fills the air. Fun stuff. The thing goes on for about an hour, because they recreate skirmishes in the areas where they are believed to have happened, in and around the center of the town. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

I think what you do is cool.

I also have daily battles, around twice a day.  Sometimes I feel as though I've an easy victory.  Other times I'll win, but it will have been an incredibly hard fought battle.

There has been the odd loss though.  For example, I've been battling and realised there's no white towel or worse, the enemy has crept up on me completely unexpectedly..  They're the worst.

• Like 1

You'd probably enjoy the Battle of Lexington reenactment in Massachusetts. I went there once as a little kid, and the town green was packed with spectators, as well as people up and down the street. The Minutemen militia were assembled and ready for the eventual British entry into the area. I remember hearing the distant rattle of battle drums from the approaching Redcoats. It was pretty scary, actually! Then they have a standoff on the green, and muskets and rifles begin to fire, and horses gallop around while smoke fills the air. Fun stuff. The thing goes on for about an hour, because they recreate skirmishes in the areas where they are believed to have happened, in and around the center of the town.

Do the Americans arrive 3 years late and claim victory :)

But seriously , that sounds pretty cool ..., I went to bunker hill and had to make do with model figures and my imagination , the reenactment with the nose and smell must have been really good to see

It ain't "sad". If it's what you're into and you find it interest/enjoy it, then good for you. If anyone knocks it, says more about them than you mate. Not into it myself, but a lad I went to school with has taken part in quite a few of these, he absolutely loves it.

Going by your username you'd like to be commanding an SS Tiger I.

My group has plans for a big cat that will start this Autumn but not a Tiger I.

The Tiger was an awesome piece of engineering and in the hands of an experienced, talented commander was deadly. I respect Wittmann's skills and abilities not his political rhetoric :) .

You'd probably enjoy the Battle of Lexington reenactment in Massachusetts. I went there once as a little kid, and the town green was packed with spectators, as well as people up and down the street. The Minutemen militia were assembled and ready for the eventual British entry into the area. I remember hearing the distant rattle of battle drums from the approaching Redcoats. It was pretty scary, actually! Then they have a standoff on the green, and muskets and rifles begin to fire, and horses gallop around while smoke fills the air. Fun stuff. The thing goes on for about an hour, because they recreate skirmishes in the areas where they are believed to have happened, in and around the center of the town.

• Like 1

"Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." -Capt. John Parker 

Truly a monumental moment in the history of the modern(ish) world.

Â