Laptop/Tablet 2-in-1 Advice

adw95

I have a laptop which is currently running out of usage, it can't be used without being plugged in constantly so I would like something that doesn't rely on that. I've been considering getting a tablet for a while as they are easier to take around with me (I don't stay home of the weekend so rarely use my own laptop). I was looking at Android tablets to have better connectivity with my Chromecast but that is not a necessity.

2-in-1 devices appeal to me because they have the added option of a solid keyboard whilst also being very portable. I have come across the below on Amazon on a good deal and am wondering if this is suitable for the following needs:

• Casting shows/movies via the Plex webapp in Chrome
  • Browsing the internet
  • Playing games (only Football Manager so I assume that's okay)

I don't need it for many things which is why I look for low prices. This deal also comes with Microsoft Office and a £50 voucher so it's basically just £180. I would most likely put a 64GB SD card in so there was more storage also. I know the direct competition is an Asus T100 but I see no reason for that to be a better option... If anyone has a better suggestion let me know.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JWMUJT4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1VCX7PH6VH1PERRVX420&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

I'm looking for something for less than £400.

Not a 2 in 1, but I'm going for a chromebook if my insurance company can't fix my laptop (which I'm secretly hoping they can't).

Pretty much decided that 99% of my laptop usage is web browsing. So having a windows laptop is more or less pointless. I occasionally write something using word and occasionally play a game like football manager, but not enough to justify having a proper laptop imo.

So I'm going chromebook. Much cheaper. Maybe something to consider? Not sure how it would affect your FM playing though as I assume you need windows/linux/mac to run that

They look good but like you say I would lose the ability to play FM and that's one of the main things I do. I also don't see a financial advantage with them compared to this particular product.

I guess I'm just worried it's rubbish and I won't know until I've already bought it!

Football Manager is a pretty intensive on the CPU, I wouldn't want to play it on an Atom processor. It may "work", but it'll be horrifically slow. System requirements for FM14:

• Processor: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core AMD, Athlon. Windows XP: 1.6GHz+, Windows Vista/7/8: 2.2GHz+ 

This device has an Atom that runs at 1.33Ghz...I think you'll have time to make a cup of tea every time you swap screens in FM.

It'd be a noticeable downgrade. Atom processors aren't really meant for anything other than incredibly light use (a bit of browsing Facebook will be ok, anything more and I'd avoid it).

If you want a tablet and your only problem with your current laptop is it needs to be plugged in, I'd just buy a replacement battery, and maybe spend the money you save on a cheaper tablet like the Nexus 7 (or maybe one of the transformer series if you want the keyboard, but I'm not that familiar with them) for your webbrowsing/movies on the go.

I think you'd need to spend a lot more money to buy something that'd be noticably more portable than your current laptop that will run FM properly.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Can you do a refurbished deal? The Dell Latitude E7240 is a very good, light and high quality 12 inch ultrabook laptop. It's the present company model were I work.

Clicky

It's not a 2 in 1 but in my view, you give up too much quality and performance for a little gimmick

Edited by Tegis

I have a laptop which is currently running out of usage, it can't be used without being plugged in constantly so I would like something that doesn't rely on that. ...

just replace the battery? Low cost, problem solved?

Can you do a refurbished deal? The Dell Latitude E7240 is a very good, light and high quality 12 inch ultrabook laptop. It's the present company model were I work.

Clicky

It's not a 2 in 1 but in my view, you give up too much quality and performance for a little gimmick

I've used Windows 8 and don't like it on laptops, unless the laptop had touchscreen capabilities. That's why I was looking at the 2-in-1 deal.

I have a laptop which is currently running out of usage, it can't be used without being plugged in constantly so I would like something that doesn't rely on that. ...

just replace the battery? Low cost, problem solved?

I may do so but I just want a better option, I've had some issues with this laptop (it's been repaired 3 times at least) and I also have been considering getting a tablet...

Â