Site pages being redirected (Possible Adware issue)

theboyangel

Question

Limpid,

I've read through the other posts (dating back to June) in relation to being re-directed from VT to various sites. http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/11495-possible-vt-adware/

I've started experiencing issues for the past couple of days, with VT being redirected to http://69.162.111.227/uk/index.php which states 'OUTDATED JAVA PLUGIN DETECTED' (my Java bits and bobs are completely up to date)

This is also happening when viewing the site on my Nokia mobile phone

Thought I'd better let you know

Cheers TBA

This has just happened to me now. I got redirected to a page telling me my java needs to be updated, and a .exe file was downloaded which thankfully my anti-virus stopped. This is the page I got redirected to:

ao2jwn.jpg

And this is the location the .exe is downloading from (obviously don't click it unless you want a virus):

http://www.downrapid.com/node/pkg/loader.exe?offer_id=100037&aff_id=11156&transaction_id=78f674f0-a591-43d3-9449-5611a6e4ab79

This only seems to be happening on VT.

Does it happen from particular pages? Like when you open a thread or an index? Does it happen when your mobile is using 3g rather than wifi? (Although presumably you use the app most of the time).

If it's happening for anyone else, please say so. Like last time there is probably very little I can do as it'll be coming from one of the advertising partners and will fix itself.

Using Chrome would mean that you take advantage of Google's malware checking. I'm a little bored of reminding people to read the post stating what information you need to post when there is an issue as a) no-one does and B) people take the piss that I keep repeating the same things.

It happens during most threads whilst using WiFi.

As for threads, today the main problems were the speculation thread, vlaar thread in villatalk, the weekend matches in other football and quite a lot on off topic.

Apologies if I didn't submit the correct information in the opening post.

It happens during most threads whilst using WiFi.

As for threads, today the main problems were the speculation thread, vlaar thread in villatalk, the weekend matches in other football and quite a lot on off topic.

Apologies if I didn't submit the correct information in the opening post.

but does it happen when you use 3g?

Does it only happen in threads, or does it also happen in indexes?

I still don't know what browser or OS you are using. Or whether you've followed the basic instructions like trying a different browser. :(

It is one of the banner ads Limpid. I just did a little refreshing and it only happens when a certain ad pops up:

Is it always an ad in that slot?

I can't be sure if it's the advert at the top or one of the other adverts, it usually happens instantly so I don't have time to scroll down to see if it was one of the other ads. I've turned AdBlock on and have had no problems so it's definitely something to do with the ads.

I don't have Firefox installed at the moment so I can't try another browser (I'm not trying it with IE).

Oh, and it happens in different indexes and threads. More often in the main index but it pops up in other indexes and threads too.

Edited by Phumfeinz

It is one of the banner ads Limpid. I just did a little refreshing and it only happens when a certain ad pops up:

Is it always an ad in that slot?

I can't be sure if it's the advert at the top or one of the other adverts, it usually happens instantly so I don't have time to scroll down to see if it was one of the other ads. I've turned AdBlock on and have had no problems so it's definitely something to do with the ads.

I don't have Firefox installed at the moment so I can't try another browser (I'm not trying it with IE).

Oh, and it happens in different indexes and threads. More often in the main index but it pops up in other indexes and threads too.

Okay. It still looks like only two people are affected which suggests it's more likely to be a dns changer rather than anything else. Are you in a position to do some testing for me?

It's really easy. I've suspended one of the advertisers, can you tell me if you are still getting the redirects?

Actually, can you wait 10 minutes and then try? Just in case it takes a while for the adserver to notice the change.

Hmmm. Snotty email time then.

You might still get an occasional one come through, but this should stop most of them until the ad provider fixes the issue.

Although it's unlikely, this still could be malware at your end causing certain ads to divert. It is unlikely because usually these would redirect to different ads which earn money for the bad guy rather than the legitimate site. I would dismiss this possibility except for the fact it's only affecting two people. If you do find something bad on your computer or router in the next few days, please let me know.

Â