Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Took Petrov a year and half to settle and he was only coming in from Scotland and knew the manager well.

While I conpletely agree, Petrov was a bit different in that he completely adapted his game to the premier league compared with Scotland where as Sanchez needs to be exactly why we bought him.

As I say I completely agree though. I thought he was noticeably poor last week but still think he will be a good buy.

The defensive midfielder role has a weird reputation wise in England, all the 'keep it ticking over' players get called 'The Crab' Westwood, Cleverley at utd, Arteta, to be fair Petrov also and even Carrick. Which I think is unfair but the players that can add midfield enforcer to this are the great players The main example being Makalele, simple passes but great at reading the game.

Fingers crossed Sanchez can be this player.

Petrov isn't necessarily the correct analogy. 

Petrov played an absolute stormer on his debut away against West Ham, it ranks up there among the most impressive debuts I've ever seen from a Villa player - he was box to box, played with high energy, created chances and very nearly scored a good goal from a lob that was cleared off the line. After that he failed to put in the same level of performance, was criticised by fans and was basically reinvented as a more deep-lying player. 

I see Sanchez as not being up to the required pace to play in this league, sort of like Angel was when he first arrived, Angel went on to be a decent player for us, although had more bad seasons than good...

If Sanchez adapts I think he'll be a decent player for us, the big word in that is if.. However what he deserves at the very least is time and the opportunity to get a good run of games under his belt.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

You're conflating transfer fees and wages, which is a mistake. Transfer fees are poorly correlated with final league positions, but wages correlate well with them (the probable reason for this is big teams being able to pick up top quality players like Sagna or Lampard on free transfers). 

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was replying to blandy's mention of "cost", which includes both transfers and wages.

I agree that the ability Chelsea have been able to buy makes them formidable and highly skilled opponents, but I don't think that reducing things purely down to cost for a particular player is really the full explanation,

Depends on the correlation between cost and quality, innit?

You find the odd bargain (e.g. Benteke) and the mad prices (e.g. Shane Long) but largely cost and quality are fairly correlated. Di Maria cost so much because he's good. Paul McShane doesn't get paid a billion quid a week.

I said above " No, the price paid for Sanchez isn't relevant to their ability to pass round him, or not, or what we might expect." Which you maybe missed? Even then I don't really agree. Yes quality and money often go hand in hand, but not so much in the case of "being passed round". Barca used to do exactly that to everyone, however expensive the oppo such as Man U or Madrid.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

we have seen what he can do in the world cup. He has talent. Lets give him 2-3 games to get used to the pace and we will see him come good. Playing Richardson who does nothing every game will achieve... well nothing.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he starts at QPR.

It looks good for him with these comments.

Paul Lambert says midfield powerhouse Carlos Sanchez is very much in his thoughts heading into the QPR match and beyond.

Sanchez has taken time to settle into Barclays Premier League life following his move from Spanish side Elche in the summer transfer window.

The formidable form of Ashley Westwood in the middle of the park has also meant Sanchez has had to play a waiting game in the top-flight.

But Lambert, impressed with the performances of The Rock in training, admits he's now ready to give Sanchez his playing platform, especially now Fabian Delph has been ruled out with a shoulder injury.

While anchor Sanchez is very different in style to dynamic Delph, Lambert says he's ready to call on the Colombian.

He said: "Carlos will come into the reckoning. He has done really well in training but the form of Ashley has been really high.

"Now is the time to look at Carlos and say 'let's see if you're ready for it'.

"Carlos is a different player from Fabian. Fabian is more dynamic, more up and down but Carlos is more of a sitter.

"Carlos will give you that strength - he has his own attributes.

"He is an international with Colombia and he's played in massive games before.

"I don't have any problem with putting him in."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4233237,00.html

The two wide have got to offer genuine movement across the line and get close to Benteke. They cannot just be tucked in to make a midfield five, but instead give Cleverley options and also support to Benteke by picking up his knock downs and the second ball.

Glad that Snachez will likely get his chance. The midfield craves variety.

Edited by Ads

Glad that Snachez will likely get his chance. The midfield craves variety.

Indeed, most of our midfielders are all too similar. Sanchez at least theoretically offers more defensively than the others. Push Cleverly further forward which will suit him more, allow Westwood to focus on moving the ball rather than trying to be a midfield destroyer (which is not his talent) and we might just look a lot better than we did against Everton.

• Like 1

It will take a few months probably to see sanchez at his best - we need to give him plenty of time to adapt to the premiership.

Sadly he does not have that time.

Â