Aly Cissokho

samjp26

Well I can see that the fact that Lambert has had to work on a budget absolves him of all blame for (in addition to most other things) his inability to coach elementary defensive organisation in his teams.

Go figure!

Did I say it absolves him of all blame? However using Bertrand as an example as a point to his coaching, could be easily be countered by using Delph's progress or Benteke's.

Southampton also lost Lallana, Shaw, Lovren, Osvaldo, Ramirez and Lambert so Koeman had to rebuild their squad...

He's done a fantastic job so far at Southampton.

Lambert has still not been able to get his team to do even the basics right depite being in his 3rd season here

Osvaldo and Ramirez, come off it mate. The three key players he lost was Lallana, Shaw and Lovren. The point which you seem to have missed is, he still had a solid base of players as well as having the finances to replace the players that had left. He's done a good job but lets not miss the obvious point that Soton are in a far better position than us financially.

• Like 1

Southampton also lost Lallana, Shaw, Lovren, Osvaldo, Ramirez and Lambert so Koeman had to rebuild their squad...

He's done a fantastic job so far at Southampton.

Lambert has still not been able to get his team to do even the basics right depite being in his 3rd season here

Osvaldo and Ramirez, come off it mate. The three key players he lost was Lallana, Shaw and Lovren. The point which you seem to have missed is, he still had a solid base of players as well as having the finances to replace the players that had left. He's done a good job but lets not miss the obvious point that Soton are in a far better position than us financially.

Lots of people were tipping Southampton for the drop when they sold half their team, and if we'd been in a similar position people would have been making excuses for Lambert for the next ten years.  Instead Koeman has come in and just got on with the job.  Fundamentally, he plays good football, and Lambert doesn't.  That's a difference that can't be overcome no matter how much money you spend.

• Like 2

Did I say it absolves him of all blame? However using Bertrand as an example as a point to his coaching, could be easily be countered by using Delph's progress or Benteke's.

Delph and Benteke don't play in defence and thus not relevent to his defensive coaching which is what was being discussed.

To be fair, we've seen the problems faced by Spurs and Liverpool in losing their best players despite being able to reinvest the fees on other expensive signings. Most impressive with Koeman is the ease in which he was able to integrate the new signings and oversee a fluency in the team from day one.

However, just to clarify that it wasn't my intention to try and use them as a standard that we as a team should be on par with. I was one of the few in the summer during 'Vlaargate' who still viewed them as a clear step up in the face of the mainstream view that they were a sideways step and would struggle this season.

Edited by Isa

The difference is Spurs and Liverpool tried to replace 1 world class player with like 10 other ones. Whereas Soton have replaced their 4 or so key players man for man. Pelle for Lambert, Tadic for Lallana, Bertrand for Shaw etc. The two situations are not really comparable.

The difference is Spurs and Liverpool tried to replace 1 world class player with like 10 other ones. Whereas Soton have replaced their 4 or so key players man for man. Pelle for Lambert, Tadic for Lallana, Bertrand for Shaw etc. The two situations are not really comparable.

The point was more about the difficulty in seemlessly integrating a bunch of new players into your first team.

I think people who are comparing Southampton to ourselves, if koeman was our manager would we be in the top 4 right now? Koeman wouldn't touch our club with a bargepole as he'd know it is a very difficult challenge.

Southampton lost 3-4 good players but they can also field an entire starting XI of players who cost more to bring to their club than our most expensive player. Take away the players that koeman has bought and give him n'zogbia, returning from injury benteke and injured kozak

• Like 2

watching the game last night and I really like Cissokho for the main reason like Hutton or Bouma they never smile on the pitch and look like they would kill you if they had a chance. Thats what you want from your full back

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this guy went nearly a month with no one posting in his thread, which I think is a shame because he is a very consistent performer, nearly always a 6.5 - 7.5 out of 10 for me.

just indicates how solid he is, think him and Guzan thread rarely get posts

Spends far too long on the ball, we often lose momentum (if any) when we pass him the ball.  He looks forward and there's no one there, so he must always come inside, which is easy to mark against.

His passing options are to either lump it into a channel and probably lose possession, or a simple 10 yard pass inside to Westwood/Cleverly. 

As a team they should all be giving each other options, but it's not happening and Cissokho's limited "footballing" brain leads to us breaking down too many attacks.

I come back to the point I keep saying in other threads - we need wingers.

Â