What formation suits our team and players best?

villalad21

Me personally don't see the 5 at the back working out well, as we don't have good enough fullbacks for that type of formation. 

I also don't see the 4-2-3-1 formation working out well, as we don't have a real anchor man in the midfield, at least not yet.

The 4-3-3 is probably still the formation we should go for.

--------------Guzan----------------

Hutton----Vlaar---Okore---Richardson/Bennett

-------------------------Westwood-------------------------------

-----------------Cole/KEA------------Delph----------------

Zog-------------------Bent---------------------Gabby---------

Ifeel Weimann is wasted space playing him on the wing, amazing sub for Bent though !

I have no idea, and I don't think Paul does either. Too many players who "can" play in multiple places, and too few who've genuinely locked down a cast-iron position. That can be a real plus if you've got a couple of players with that ability, but when practically your entire squad is made up of players who fall under the "utility" banner, it's a real problem

That can help if it is utilised well by the manager P3te, for instance if we line up with a 3/5 at the back as follows it can be quickly interchanged:

Guzan

Okore Vlaar Baker

Bacuna       Herd     Richardson

Delph

N'Zogbia                    Agbonlahor

Bent

This set of players (I have included the ones who are not injured) can become either a 442 or a 433 easily:

Guzan

Bacuna Okore Vlaar Baker

N'Zogbia Herd Delph Richardson

Agbonlahor Bent

Guzan

Okore Vlaar Baker Richardson

Bacuna Herd Delph

N'Zogbia Bent Agbonlahor

Obviously players in static positions can change; Gabby/N'Zogbia for Weimann/Tonev, Herd for Westwood/KEA, and so on...

3 at the back requires 3 CBs who are comfortable on the ball and a combative defensive mid in front of them IMO. Last season we had one comfortable CB and no real DM. Maybe this season will be different but I won't hold my breath.

It's a good question.

5 at the back, or 3 at the back might suit the central defensive players but I worry that 4 at the back leaves us without enough support in the defensive line (not just defenders). For example I'm a big fan of 4231 but you do need the right player in important positions, and I don't think we have enough of those players.

I can't quite get onboard with Delph and Westwood as central midfield in 4231 because neither is really a tackler and our wide men aren't quality players who can take the pressure off, in 433 energy and passing can make up for a lack of a tackler (still not good though) and with wide players you naturally drag the opposition wide while flooding the middle. I think any solo forward tactic with Benteke can work because he's so good at keeping the ball and making the right pass but without him we need supporting strikers...perhaps Cole can be that calming influence, he can definitely keep the ball.

Then we have a lack of natural width, which for me is a problem. Arsenal, amazing passers with a narrow game look better when they have a wide option but we use Gabby and Weimann up top and neither are good enough to be wingers. Gabby isn't good enough on the ball or smart enough to play a wide solo position and Weimann is a good player but he definitely struggles when alone on the touchline and needs someone to feed off so he can get free, he's a forward, not a winger. That's what I liked about Albrighton, yes he did come inside but he also overlapped, make runs and crossed early, retreating defenders hate that sort of player. (admittedly he's perhaps a squad player and not the future...well we'll find that out at his new club...but he gave us options)

I think a lot of our team are playing into a tactic and not enough are being used in their natural position, sadly I think 5 and 3 atb would suit our natural positions but I don't think we're fluid enough up top to pull it off over a whole season.

In my opinion unless we get a proper winger (maybe Richardson will be that man), a proper right or left back and a strong tackling central midfielder (imperative for me) we're a few players away from being a tactically astute squad and teams will looks to stifle our narrow game.

I've added ki to the lineup as it's looking likely this will go through (or just wishful thinking) & selected a team I felt would make us harder to beat.

Avfc-formation-tactics.png

I'm looking forward to Senderos's runs towards the corner flag. 

• Like 4

I've added ki to the lineup as it's looking likely this will go through (or just wishful thinking) & selected a team I felt would make us harder to beat.

I'm looking forward to Senderos's runs towards the corner flag.

Don't be pedantic it's obvious the arrows aren't meant to be there...some people

Clark as holding MF? No thank you...

Our best players are our forwards but our CM is so weak we have to take one of them out to put another one in or else we get overrun. Pretty simple, we need a solid defensive mid to go with Delph then we can let a front 4 run riot a bit more. Like when we had Barry/Petrov/NRC two of them hold, the rest of our attack do the business, we can do the same.

Said it before but I would stick Okore CDM and let the full backs get forward more.

Villa-formation-tactics.png

Clark as holding MF? No thank you...

Because none of our current midfielders don't know how to tackle. That's why I have him there, also should we get caught on the break he could slot in to make a back four. I did consider Baker over Senderos for that reason. But you know...that would mean Baker being in the team.

People keep putting N'Zogbia on the wing in these speculative formations and I wonder if they saw him play there for us. It was painful because he wanders off not just defensively but attackingly - I remember so many times our midfield would look for an outlet on his wing and he would have gone walkabout. I think he has potential to be very good for us but throughout his career I have only ever been impressed by him in a roaming role off the striker.

I think the 3 at the back system could work for our personnel but it puts a lot of pressure on Richardson and Lowton/Hutton. As it stands right now I think his team for the Stoke game will be

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Okore Richardson

N'Zogbia Westwood Delph Cole Agbonlahor

Bent

Â