Faulty devices and your consumer rights

Frobisher

Following a strong hint, I've decided to start this thread a place to go for those who suffer from poor customer service when experiencing problems with their tech.

I posted this in another thread:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes. I got a Galaxy S5 from Phones 4 U about 2 months ago, and yesterday the charging port cover which makes the phone water resistant popped off. I didn't force it, nothing snapped, the adhesive simply failed. I went in to the shop where I bought it and, after standing around for 15 minutes, was helpfully told that I should go and see the man who sells phone covers in Touch wood to get it fixed. Apparently, this is classed as me causing the damage and there is no way of proving that I didn't force it. I phoned customer service and was told the same thing, in addition to a smug admonition for not getting their extortionate insurance.

Can anyone advise me if I am being shafted here? This seems to be a known fault with the phone, and as I said, it is quite clear that the adhesive has failed. Is there anything I can do?

I received some really helpful answers from Limpid and Darren M (apart from the dig at my naivety :-p). If anyone else has any ideas then post them here, or if anyone else is having a problem, ask away and the good folk of VT are sure to do their best to help you out.

Following a strong hint, I've decided to start this thread a place to go for those who suffer from poor customer service when experiencing problems with their tech.

I posted this in another thread:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes. I got a Galaxy S5 from Phones 4 U about 2 months ago, and yesterday the charging port cover which makes the phone water resistant popped off. I didn't force it, nothing snapped, the adhesive simply failed. I went in to the shop where I bought it and, after standing around for 15 minutes, was helpfully told that I should go and see the man who sells phone covers in Touch wood to get it fixed. Apparently, this is classed as me causing the damage and there is no way of proving that I didn't force it. I phoned customer service and was told the same thing, in addition to a smug admonition for not getting their extortionate insurance.

Can anyone advise me if I am being shafted here? This seems to be a known fault with the phone, and as I said, it is quite clear that the adhesive has failed. Is there anything I can do?

I received some really helpful answers from Limpid and Darren M (apart from the dig at my naivety :-p). If anyone else has any ideas then post them here, or if anyone else is having a problem, ask away and the good folk of VT are sure to do their best to help you out.

Sorry about the dig at your naivety, wasn't meant that way. I wouldn't know if P4U were actually any good or not, it was more of a poke fun at someone not buying a Nexus, which is the massive majority I'm not part of, and just because I've had a good experience buying from Google Play doesn't mean everyone else will.

I'll find a couple of my posts and put them here if they're at all helpful. I've been really lucky with electronic devices so haven't needed to go legal on a company's ass yet so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has fought their corner in a retailer/manufacturer/consumer wrangle.

From my own experience and some advice off here I used the sales of good act to replace my faulty nexus 7.

As I had the device for over 6 months it was up to me as a consumer to prove that the product was faulty from a quality perspective and not from something i had done (in the 1st 6 months it is the responsibilty of the shop it is bought from.

it was a simple case of going to a repair shop and asking them to write a report. When my claim was successful I also got the cost of the report back

• Like 1

Actually, as the battery is integrated then the whole thing is faulty, not just the battery. How long ago did you purchase it?

Yeah I thought that as soon as I wrote it. Once the manufacturers make it integrated, it's no longer a semi consumable part, so subject to the same warranty.

From my own experience and some advice off here I used the sales of good act to replace my faulty nexus 7.

As I had the device for over 6 months it was up to me as a consumer to prove that the product was faulty from a quality perspective and not from something i had done (in the 1st 6 months it is the responsibilty of the shop it is bought from.

it was a simple case of going to a repair shop and asking them to write a report. When my claim was successful I also got the cost of the report back

That's very good but it's also the very reason many retailers attempt to fob consumers off. It takes a bit of consumer nous and effort to achieve the correct result.
  • Like 1

That's very good but it's also the very reason many retailers attempt to fob consumers off. It takes a bit of consumer nous and effort to achieve the correct result.

Your right they do rely on people just going and buying another one to be fair to the people I dealt with as soon as I sent my first email they was very helpful and told me exactly what I needed to do

• 5 months later...

I've just had a big issue with my sony z2 it's stopped allowing me to receive or text fir last four days. It says "invalid card" no service. I've had so many arguments with bloody vodaphone. They we're suppose to send me a new phone Tuesday but there was a delay. Then they said would come by courier yesterday between 8-6 I rang them at 1 as got no order number so could not track online. They said that the order was not processed as I was not specific as I work in hospital and did not specify what department which was a complete lie I told two separate people.

I was furious and wanted to cancel but they somehow persuaded me to stay as they said they would instead send me the Z3 instead as good will gesture today again by 8-6 to my work.

Today again no order number so I call, again and guess what no phone again!! Apparently the order was processed to Royal Mail and not by courier so they said I can't get phone until Monday!!!! I went ballistic and have cancelled out of frustration!

Problem is I can't find any deal that comes close to price and there seems like a huge shortage of z2s now. So do you think it's the actual phone or the sim? I don't have anyone else that has vodaphone so can't test it in another phone but I'm so pissed off I don't know what to do as only got 7 days to send phone back. Help!

Well, Dem. if you've cancelled, then you need to send them the dodgy phone back. But two things stand out from your post. First, that if they're not lying again, the z3 is already on its way, so if that's true, you will be able to try your sim in it, I think. If you are then satisfied you could call them, tell them you were so angry, but now calmer and don't really want to cancel. If you're still having probs with the z3 or if it doesn't turn up, then leaving was a good choice. Send them the stuff back, tracked post, on Wednesday or Thursday, or even Friday.

Then, use limpids link from the start of the gif gaff thread, get a sim off them. It's free. Do that As soon as poss so it turns up early next week. If you can't get a deal right away stick the giffgaff sim in a cheap or spare old phone to keep you going while you look around.

First world problem.

Thanks Blandy, i just dont trust them i only have a few more days left before my 2 weeks is up then i am lumbered with another contract. i just dont want to risk it after being lied to. Yes I might do that, can you transfer your number with the puk code on giffa gaff though?

You can transfer your number from any provider to any other provider, Dem. You have to get a code off them (vodafone in your case) follow the guide here - this.

You need a PAC from your current service provider. Contact your current service provider and request a PAC as you want to transfer ('port') your number to another network...[snipped - lots more info on page]

Order a sim from them by using my link or by using Limpids link  - suggest Limpid's to help fund this site.

If you're even halfserious about moving, do it right away - it doesn't commit you to anything, but it'll save time if you do definitely move to have the sim card already with you.

thanks alot mate, i actually managed to find a better deal with O2 with a z3 free (comes tomorrow fingers crossed) and i get 30% off as nhs staff discount which is fantastic

so provided all comes and no faults this could be a blessing. going to send the phone back to that poxy lame company vodafone, never ever want to deal with that turd company again. i just hope they dont try delay sending the bag to meas thats needed for senidng the phone back. i have requested it couple times but hasnt come. i am concerned as if it dont come by friday they will turn around and say 2 weeks has surpassed

• Like 1

Â