Don Bradman Cricket 14

ThunderPower_14

999728_405307542923352_669441465_n.jpg

Facebook link

It was discussed briefly on here after the Ashes Cricket 2013 debacle, but Don Bradman Cricket 14 is finally due out on April 3rd. 

It features a revolutionary control system where you use one stick for footwork and the other to play the stroke, and a similar exciting new system for bowling.

Probably most exciting of all for me, it features a be-a-pro type career mode, which lends itself perfectly to cricket. 

It's not licenced, but it has an incredibly powerful creation suite that has been available to people for a long time now, so realistic players should be able to be very easily downloaded on the day of release.

I can't wait!

Despite Cricket being the most boring sport on the planet, I've previously enjoyed the odd cricket video game (Brian Lara for example)

I'm surprised there hasn't been more as it doesn't strike me as a particularly difficult sport to portray in a video game.

Despite Cricket being the most boring sport on the planet, I've previously enjoyed the odd cricket video game (Brian Lara for example)

I'm surprised there hasn't been more as it doesn't strike me as a particularly difficult sport to portray in a video game.

The problem has usually been that it's not big in the big videogame markets, like the US, Japan, China etc. 

Thankfully India makes it viable.

The problem with every cricket game ever is that it takes you about 10 minutes to work out how to bat, then you just belt sixes every ball and there is no challenge. I'm hoping the control system here will fix that.

Brian LAra 2005 was a great game, had classic challenges as well which I think made it better.

they didnt have much licences so thinking maybe this from same company, is it?

Nope different, cricket is very hard to translate into a video game successfully but it looks like this one will be the first decent one for nearly a decade.

• 2 weeks later...

Nor sure if it's awful or just incredibly realistic. Jumped into a career which turned out to essentially be be a pro for cricket, which is pretty bloody dull.

Then into the nets to actually hit some balls... I'm hitting about 30% of deliveries. Doesn't seem to be any tutorials or explanations as to what's going on.

Controls seem to be reasonable in theory but very unreliable.

All that said, it may just be that I'm not good at it yet. Which I'd be happy about considering how most games are about learning to hit 6 and then spamming the boundaries to til you've ten men caught out.

More play required

Right, so it's not awful or anything, I just wouldn't recommend anyone other than the most cricket starved of players consider spending money in it.

Get an emulator and load up international cricket on the snes instead. More fun

Edited by P3te

Okay i've spent a few hours in career mode this morning as a bat, having only bowled a few overs. First impressions:

- Wow it's absolutely brutal clear.png The learning curve is an absolute cliff. A lot of the time you stuff up and get out. Sometimes you do nothing wrong and get miraculously caught and bowled. It feels like real cricket in that sense.

- There are some frustrating issues. Bowlers are brick walls and are basically impossible to drive past. Railgun armed fielders combined with the lack of bat sliding means ridiculous runouts happen all the time. I think they are patching this but it's frustrating as hell. There's no urgency when you cancel a run either so every 2nd game you or your partner will be run out meandering back to your crease after a cancelled run.

- The player creation has the best face moulding tools I have ever seen in a videogame. It even smashes the WWE games out of the park. Usually with this sort of thing, regardless of how deep the creation is, every face has a similar look to it. Not in this game. You can make anyone dead on. I really wish I could export my career mode character to a general created player some how, because it is the spitting image of me, it's amazing.

- Obviously graphics take a back seat to gameplay, but it looks gorgeous. It looks and feels like cricket when you are playing.

- The stick based batting is the best thing that has ever happened to a cricket video game. It will make the game endlessly replayable. Brilliant.

This is the greatest cricket game of all time. It's also presented really beautifully.

• Like 2

Is it difficult in an unfair sense or is it like dark souls, its your fault if something goes wrong?

Apart from the runout bugs that will soon be patched, I've been at fault every time I've gotten out through poor timing, shot selection, or execution.

I've improved a bit since that post but it's still very difficult :) Hard to learn, harder to master

Is it difficult in an unfair sense or is it like dark souls, its your fault if something goes wrong?

Apart from the runout bugs that will soon be patched, I've been at fault every time I've gotten out through poor timing, shot selection, or execution.

I've improved a bit since that post but it's still very difficult :)Hard to learn, harder to master

so realistic then?

I'm half way through the 4th year of my career, although i'll have to start again soon because they're releasing a patch. That's fine, because i'm basically the worst cricketer in the world at the moment and I need a fresh start!

I've pushed my scores up a bit. I have a top score of 45 (on which I spooned a drive to mid off), and i'm usually getting into the teens or twenties before getting out. Basically shotmaking is all about timing, as simple as that sounds. I've been working a lot on getting my timing right and not getting impatient and trying to slap a four, and it's been paying dividends. I basically park myself on the front foot at this stage to keep things simple, which makes it more difficult to play short balls, but you can still effectively pull and cut from the front foot.

You really get a sense of satisfaction when finally making some runs. I'm really enjoying it.

Â