True Detective *May Contain Spoilers*

dAVe80

Here you go guys. As I only watched the first episode yesterday, and will be watching at UK pace I'll avoid this thread till I've caught up (and it's clogging up the generic TV thread), go ahead and talk about whatever you want (at any pace) about True Detective here, without spoiling it for me!  :)

Edited for CED

Edited by dAVe80

UK pace?

I''m out.

No the idea was, talk about it without fear of spoiling it for us who are watching at UK pace, and I'll avoid till I've caught up (although I realise I'm contradicting myself by reading now). I'll edit the OP to avoid confusion.

I like how they've kept the same director for each episode. Typically these HBO shows have about a dozen directors. Not that it hurt those shows, but I just like the idea that the guy (Fukunaga) is fully invested in the entire process. He's already made his mark on TV history with

that six minute tracking shot

...classic.

Apparently he's making a movie of Stephen King's IT. But someone else is going to be directing the next season of True Detective but Fukunaga wil stay on as some sort of executive producer I think, I've read.

The first half of IT (when it was like Stand By Me, only with a killer clown) was great. The second half was absolute garbage.

Anyway, now that this is a spoiler tag free zone...

Marty is up to his neck in something. I'm convinced. Possibly he was the one who broke into Tuttle's house, found some shit out and decided to keep quiet. Plenty of visual clues suggesting that Marty (or his wife/children) will get caught up at some point.

Cohle is the 'True Detective' because he knows a lead when he sees it and follows it through, no matter what.

SPOILERS ALLOWED HERE, HMM? IN THAT CASE.....

I think the idea that Rust is involved is too easy a conclusion, they've basically made the audience think it from the very first episode. So I think that the killer is either going to be Marty (remember he executed gas mask man before he had the chance to look at Marty) And the other guy exploded on a trip wire, so Marty's "cover" wasn't blown. He's let Rust do all the real police work on the case while sitting back just riding along...

But I admit, even that's a stretch. Could be the lawnmower man from the closed Tuttle school....

I think the idea that Rust is involved is too easy a conclusion, they've basically made the audience think it from the very first episode. So I think that the killer is either going to be Marty (remember he executed gas mask man before he had the chance to look at Marty) And the other guy exploded on a trip wire, so Marty's "cover" wasn't blown. He's let Rust do all the real police work on the case while sitting back just riding along...

But I admit, even that's a stretch. Could be the lawnmower man from the closed Tuttle school....

Rust being involved would be a bit of a letdown for everyone, surely. Marty is unlikely to be but you'd have to wonder why he's so defensive of Rust when interrogated in 2012 after their supposed major bust up. 

I believe it's not a single killer. A lot of people are involved in the cult. I think Maggie, her daughters and her parents are very much in it.

Problem with a series like this is that people get a lot of time between episodes to discuss and provide many theories. Eventually some will get some things right and it could ruin it for people reading them, unless there's some really original ending they've come up with, which is unlikely. I believe these types of Edgar Allan Poe -like stories should be done in a single film so people won't have months to speculate. Guess the best choice is to avoid reading all the theories and simply enjoy the show but some people can't help it - it's part of the fun. 

• Like 1

No way was is Marty "involved". He shot that dude after seeing what he'd done to the little ones, with pure hatred in his eyes.

He's a pawn in somebodies game somewhere along the line, but I very much doubt he's complicit.

Rust has been undercover for the last 10 years no?

I think when Rust is being interviewed the five men he makes out of beer cans are the five major players in the cult, can't remember the brand of beer but one of the men is made so that he has a star on his head I presume that one is the yellow king. I guess that would be Rust's way of telling them that he's onto them.

Also one the of kid's had arranged five Ken dolls around barbie perhams indicating that she has somehow witnessed something. I'm not sure if Marty is involved but if you watch the first episdoe again he does seem suspicious, although I guess everyone can be made to be in these types of shows. Hopefully Marty's hair doesn't turn white.

Also the five men on horses in the picture at Dora's Mothers house.

Here's the photo from the show and also one taken by the production crew.

mTH5AsC.png

This one gives a closer look at the costumes so might be seen to be a spoiler even if your up to date with US schedule.

1511855_773273279352957_356836578_o.jpg

Edited by useless

I think when Rust is being interviewed the five men he makes out of beer cans are the five major players in the cult, can't remember the brand of beer but one of the men is made so that he has a star on his head I presume that one is the yellow king. I guess that would be Rust's way of telling them that he's onto them.

Also one the of kid's had arranged five Ken dolls around barbie perhams indicating that she has somehow witnessed something. I'm not sure if Marty is involved but if you watch the first episdoe again he does seem suspicious, although I guess everyone can be made to be in these types of shows. Hopefully Marty's hair doesn't turn white.

Ooh, I'd forgotten about that scene....

Â