Metal Gear Solid

villarule123

So, I've never played MGS properly before, only brief parts on a friends console when I was younger.

What's the best order to play them in? I gather that they're confusing and some are prequels etc. Are they long to complete?

Play them in the order they were released in.  You will not have a clue what is going on if you jump into titles out of order.  Also, don't ask about them on the internet because some dick is guaranteed to spoil things for you even if they believe they are being helpful. 

• Like 1

I recently bought the Legacy Collection - a PS3 exclusive which contains Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 Hd, Metal Gear Solid 3 Hd, Peace Walker HD, Metal Gear Solid 4 Trophy Edition, plus a couple of animated graphic novel...things, or whatever they call them.

It's about £50 on most sites, but I nabbed it off The Hut for £32 just after Christmas, what a bargain!

As for what order to play them in, yeah probably in release date order, but chronological order is nice too, although you'd probably benefit more from that having already played through them once.

...having said that, you'll get confused no matter what order you play them in, more than likely :lol: They're massively massively influenced by American movies/fiction, but are jazzed up in that crazy OTT way the Japanese do so well.

As for length, they're not the most massive of games, but do have generous enough replayability. They do have big **** off cut scenes, though, which seemed to get longer as the series went on...not everyone's cup of tea, that part, but the game play of all the games is something I can go back to and enjoy over and over again. Looking forward to the Phantom Pain!

Edited by hogso

Probably worth mentioning that Metal Gear Solid is either the third or fourth game in the series depending on whether you count Snakes Revenge or not. Kojima doesn't.  :P

There are references to Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 in MGS. 

Nobody said it was not going to be weird!

I'll not spoil it here because the OP hasn't played and it interested but the reason that a lot of people didn't like it (and you do know what I'm referring to, Plissken) was a bullshit reason. I thought it was brilliant.

Â