2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

Seems timely to start a dedicated topic for this.

The draw will be on next Friday, December 6th.

Let's start with an unsavoury article in the spirit that 'things can only get better'.

World Cup Stadium Collapse: Three Killed

Part of the stadium due to host the World Cup opener collapses, possibly delaying delivery of the venue by FIFA's deadline.

cegrab-20131127-165138-0-1-522x293.jpg

Three people have been killed in a partial collapse at the stadium due to host the World Cup opener in Brazil next year.

Part of the grandstand was destroyed when a metal structure buckled at the top of the Arena Corinthians venue in Sao Paulo.

Local media reported that the accident was caused by a crane collapse.

The collapse could delay the delivery of the stadium in time for Fifa's December deadline. The stadium was almost complete.

cegrab-20131127-165148-0-1-522x293.jpg

The venue was almost complete at the time of the accident

Brazil has struggled to deliver stadiums, public transportation improvements and other World Cup-related projects within the timelines specified by Fifa.

Some construction sites, such as a new terminal at Sao Paulo's international airport, are being built around the clock seven days a week to try to finish them before the Cup.

The stadium - officially called Arena Corinthians, but known locally as Itaquerao - is being built by Brazilian industrial conglomerate Odebrecht SA.

cegrab-20131127-165210-0-1-522x293.jpg

The venue is due to host the World Cup opener, and five other matches.

A spokeswoman for Odebrecht declined to comment on the accident when contacted by the Reuters news agency.

The stadium owner, Sport Club Corinthians, has released a statement on the collapse.

"The board of Sport Club Corinthians Paulista hereby deeply regret the accident earlier in Corinthians Arena. No other information at this time."

The storm that would follow if it happened at the world cup would be to much to bear.

Still, I am more excited by this world cup then I have been for a long time since it`s in Brazil. I really hope we get a memorable one. 

think due to kick off times this could be a great World Cup for European viewers. Think I read games are 5, 8 and 11 kickoffs which is perfect

unless you work late shifts like me!

Back to the MASSIVE NEWS THAT A STADIUM HAS COLLAPSED AND PEOPLE HAVE DIED for a second, will this affect that stadium being ready for the tournament given Brazil have already said they are struggling to meet deadlines, and will it affect the credibility of future bids where massive stadium building plans need to be implemented?  FIFA are still going to award the competition to the country who bribe their delegates with the best stuff and offers FIFA the lowest rate of tax (preferably 0%) on earnings generated by the tournament aren't they? 

• Like 2

hell it yes it will! id guess that it will take structural engineers at least 2 weeks to investigate the remaining structure and to see if it can be repaired (and by that I mean a **** load of bracing and additional steels) or if a section of it will need to be torn down

the ready by December and working 24/7 anyway stuff etc I wouldn't worry too much, that's just typical construction, there could be a fair few reasons why the building isn't ready, but it always gets blamed on the contractor (when in reality its normally unknown ground conditions)

that's still fixable by the time the world cup comes around I would say the biggest danger now is the contractor going bump, they'll take a massive hit on this

About 6 or 7 months out from every major sporting event there is always a media driven "they won't be ready" panic. Even with this setback I'd expect they will have this and the other stadia / infrastructure in place.

Only when the sporting event is in a developing country. They would never have this panic talk before an event in Switzerland, Germany or USA for example.

With good reason...those countries already have the required infrastructure in place.

Only when the sporting event is in a developing country. They would never have this panic talk before an event in Switzerland, Germany or USA for example.

I rememeber there was some panics about some of our facilities for the Olympics not being ready.

I rememeber there was some panics about some of our facilities for the Olympics not being ready.

Was about to say the same myself.

Whenever there are new stadia/facilities to be built there's always a panic, and it's always fine in the end.

Apart from Athens for the Olympics, they actually weren't ready in time :)

In true fiver style, could we get the title changed to "2014 FIFA World Cup in Association with Adidas, Coca-Cola, Hyundai, Emirates, Sony, Visa, Budweiser, Castrol Continental, Johnson & Johnson, McDonald's, Oi, Seara, Yingli, Apex Brasil, Centauro, Garoto, Itau, Liberty Seguros, Wise Up and Football for Hope" please?

=P

How important is to be one of the top seeds? In recent years, there has only been one team that has managed to lift the trophy without being a top seed.

I dont believe in this theory myself as in the euros which is more difficult to win, except Spain last year I dont think a winner has been top seed since 1996 and even then im not sure if Italy was seeded ahead of Germany

Edited by Zatman

Yeah that came out a while back (probably just being regurgitated closer to the draw). Basically, all FAs know the system and how it works. Use it to your advantage or be burned by it. Switzerland not only win matches and qualy groups but they sometimes refrain from playing friendlies so as to protect their average. There's a lot to admire about their FA from top to bottom.